Australia’s Department of Immigration and Citizenship has implemented SkillSelect, an online service to filter the skilled worker migration. The service which came to effect from July 1st, 2012 allows interested skilled professionals to record their details and submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) for working and staying in Australia. They will be asked to apply for a visa if only their application gets shortlisted.
The Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa allows skilled professionals to enter Australia without a employee recommendation.
Basic features of Skilled Independent (subclass 189) Visa:
- This points-based visa system targets skilled workers who are not sponsored or recommended by an employer, a family member, or a state or territory.
- This visa allows the applicant to live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.
- Certain family members can also apply along with the main applicant.
To apply for a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) Visa, you must have:
- Received invitation from EOI to apply visa
- Minimum points should be 60 in the points test
- Age should be less than 50 years
- You must have an occupation which matches your skills and qualifications. The occupation should be on skilled occupation list published by Australia.
- Get your skills assessed by a certified and relevant assessing authority
- You should meet the English language requirements
- Satisfy the required health and character requirements
This visa allows visa holders to:
- You can stay and work permanently in Australia
- You can get admitted to any study program in Australia
- You can avail Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- You can also avail some social security benefits (subjected to waiting)
- You can apply for citizenship in Australia (subjected to fulfillment of residency criteria)
- You can sponsor family members and spouses for permanent residency.
Beaustralian, the Australian wing of Opulentus offers a range of Australia immigration services. Get your profile evaluated by our Australian immigration experts by filling a simple and FREE Evaluation Form
. Call us on 1800 103 1555
or sms “VISA
” to 56263
Share your thoughts on Australia with us on our Facebook